When a user is creating a new project, they can define which other users on their account will be added to it as "followers".
By default, when a new user is added to a Cloudwords account, they are marked as "following all new projects" (created from that moment on). Any user can go to their profile settings and change that default, so they are not added as a follower to every new project by default. To do so:
- Log in to your Cloudwords account,
- Click the Settings link appearing at the top of every page, and choose the My Account option,
- On your Preferences settings page, click Edit,
- On the Edit page, scroll down and select your desired options on the Projects I'm Following section,
- Click Save
Remember, even if you chose not to be added to every project as a follower by default, a user creating a project will still be able to add you as a follower if they decide so.
Here are some questions and answers that will help you understand what followers can do, how to follow projects and more.
Following a project means, mainly, two things:
1) A user will receive all email notifications from Cloudwords that are related to the projects they are following.
2) The Home tab of a user will display information (messages, projects and open tasks) only related to the projects they are following.
If a user wants to see all projects, regardless if they are following them or not, they will be able to access them from the Projects tab on their Cloudwords account.
To follow any project, all you have to do is:
- Go to the Project you want to follow and, on the Project Details tab, click the link Follow this project.
- After having added yourself as a follower, the link will now display Stop Following Project, which you can use to unfollow the project.
Every time a new user is added to a Cloudwords account, an option to make them a follower of every new project is enabled.
If you want to disable this option for yourself, follow these steps:
- On your Cloudwords account, click the Settings link on top of any page and choose the My Information option to access your own profile.
- On your profile page, click the Edit button.
- On the Edit page, uncheck the Enabled checkbox under the Follow all projects option and click Save.
By unchecking the Enabled checkbox, you will not be added to new projects automatically as a follower - but you will still be able to add yourself as a follower to any project by following the instructions above.
After a project has been created, you can still add or remove followers from it. To do so:
- Go to the Overview page of the project for which you want to edit the followers.
- Scroll down on that page to the Followers section and click the Edit link.
- A new page will open. Look for the Project Followers section. You will see a table with the name of all the project's followers.
- To remove any of the current followers of this project, click the Remove link that appears on the side of each user's name.
- To add a new follower, choose their name from the drop down list, and they will be added to that project
- Click the Save Changes button to save and go back to your project's Overview page.
Note that the user that created the project is considered its owner, and they cannot be removed from it. Also, a user whose role is Reviewer will not see the Edit link and therefore will not be able to add nor to remove followers from projects.
- If your role on your Cloudwords account is Reviewer, you will not be able to stop following the projects you have been added to.
- That said, if your role is Reviewer you still can go to your profile settings and follow the instructions above to stop being added as a follower to every new project on your Cloudwords account.
Note: The ability to assign roles (Reviewer or Project Manager) to users of an account is only available to customers of the Cloudwords Professional Edition.